The Sacred Word has been re-presented in English in a dizzying array of translations, versions, and editions. One of the joys and privileges of my life is encountering the Word in the Biblical text: reading it; contemplating it; studying it; proclaiming it. Since English is the only language I have any kind of proficiency in, I am indebted to the students of the Word who produce this dizzying array, and am likewise in solidarity with my fellow students who depend on the fruits of the efforts of those others for our own understanding.
Though others have certainly done a better job than I can or will in examining and explaining these phenomena, I’ve found it useful to create digests of information related to the development of the English Bible, and I hope to use this space to share that work, as it completed and made suitable for publishing.
The questions and issues I plan to address include:
- The availability of various translations in Bible Study software platforms
- A short history of Catholic editions of the Bible in English
- A digest of the overall history of Bible translation into its many English versions
- Why so many versions? A consideration of the causes that have driven the proliferation of versions
- Which version? A consideration of criteria to employ in selecting a Bible for some purpose
- A stylistic comparison of various versions
- A digest of Bible Study helps in English of use and interest to non-experts
- A bibliography of works treating these and similar questions more comprehensively and/or professionally